TOWNSHIP of LANGLEY and SCHOOL DISTRICT No. 35 LANGLEY
2014 LOCAL GOVERNMENT ELECTION
Voting Day: Saturday, November 15, 2014
NOTICE OF NOMINATION
Public Notice is hereby given to the electors of the Township of Langley that nominations for qualified candidates will be received by the Chief Election Officer at the Township of Langley Civic Facility, 20338 – 65 Avenue, Langley BC, during the following period:
from 9:00am, Tuesday, September 30, 2014
to 4:00pm, Friday, October 10, 2014
During that period, nomination documents will be received between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday, for the following offices:
Five School Trustees
A person is qualified to be nominated for office, and to be elected to, and to hold office if at the relevant time the person meets ALL the following requirements:
- a Canadian citizen
- 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day (Saturday, November 15, 2014)
- A resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the nomination papers are filed
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Nomination documents, requirements, procedures, and related information for prospective candidates, are now available in Legislative Services, Civic Facility, 20338 – 65 Avenue, Langley, BC.
The Township of Langley uses the Provincial Voters List for its List of Registered Electors. Residents can check to see if they are on the List of Registered Electors at Voter List Lookup
. If you are not on the Township of Langley’s List of Registered Electors, you may register in person on the day you vote.
RESIDENT ELECTOR QUALIFICATIONS:
Resident electors may vote if they meet ALL the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older on or before General Voting Day of Saturday, November 15, 2014; and
- a Canadian citizen; and
- a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months prior to the day of registration; and
- a resident of the Township of Langley for at least 30 days prior to the day of registration; and
- not disqualified from voting in an election.
NON-RESIDENT PROPERTY ELECTORS QUALIFICATIONS:
Non-resident property electors may vote if they meet ALL the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day (Saturday, November 15, 2014); and
- a Canadian citizen; and
- a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
- a registered owner of real property in the Township of Langley for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration and who is an individual and not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust; and
- not entitled to register as a Resident Elector of the Township; and
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law; and
- must only register in relation to one (1) piece of property; and
- if there is more than one registered owner of the property, only one of those individuals may, with the written consent of the majority of the owners, register as a non-resident property elector. If one of the owners of the property is a limited company, the property does not qualify.
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY OF LIST OF REGISTERED ELECTORS
The List of Registered Electors is available for public inspection from Tuesday, September 30, 2014 until the close of voting on general voting day on November 15, 2014 at Legislative Services, Township of Langley, 20338 – 65 Avenue, Langley, BC, 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, except statutory holidays.
REQUEST TO OMIT PERSONAL INFORMATION
An elector may request that personal information respecting the elector be omitted from or obscured on the List of Registered electors. On request, the Chief Election Officer will amend the list available to the public by omitting or obscuring the address of the elector or other information about the elector.
OBJECTION TO REGISTRATION OF AN ELECTOR
Objections to the registration of a person whose name appears on the List of Registered Electors must be received in writing before 4:00pm on Friday, October 10, 2014. An objection may only be made by a person entitled to be registered as an elector of the Township of Langley and can only be made on the basis that the person whose name appears has died or is not qualified to be registered as an elector in the Township of Langley.
Candidates are not permitted under the Township of Langley Bylaws to erect election signs outside buildings or on properties before Sunday, October 26, 2014 and all election signs are required to be removed by 4:30pm, Wednesday, November 19, 2014.
Township Bylaws No. 4402 (Sign Bylaw) and No. 4840 (Highway and Traffic Control Bylaw) regulate the erection of election signs on private and public property.
Neither the Township of Langley nor School District No. 35 permit the use of its logos, heraldic emblems or similar corporate identifiers for the purpose of any candidate’s campaign activities.
CANDIDATE, ELECTOR ORGANIZATION CAMPAIGN FINANCING and THIRD PARTY SPONSORS
Candidate campaigning financing, Electoral Organization campaign financing and Third Party Sponsors are administered by Elections BC and not by the Township of Langley. The requirements for campaign financing and third part sponsors can be found within the “Local Elections Campaign Financing Act” or by contacting Elections BC at 1-855-952-0280 or http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/local-elections-campaign-financing/
Chief Election Officer
Deputy Chief Election Officer
Civic Facility, 20338 - 65 Avenue, Langley, BC
Legislative Services, Civic Facility, 20338 - 65 Avenue, Langley, BC