Brookswood-Fernridge Community Planning Team
On May 30, 2016, Council appointed a 17 member Community Planning Team (CPT) to assist staff in the preparation of the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan Update process. The CPT will exist for the length of the planning process and will provide important input and feedback, and will serve as a ‘sounding-board’ throughout the plan update project.
The next meetings of the CPT have been scheduled and will take place on Thursday, February 2, 7:00pm – 9:00pm at the George Preston Recreation Centre, Room A (20699 – 42 Avenue) and on Saturday, February 4, 9:00am – 3:00pm at Brookswood Baptist Church (20581 – 36 Avenue). The meeting agendas outline the items to be discussed.
Just as a reminder, the public is welcome to attend CPT meetings as observers, but will not have an opportunity to participate in the discussion. Summary notes from the CPT meetings will be made available to the public.
Information regarding upcoming public engagement events for Phase 3 of the planning process will also be posted in the coming days on the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan Update webpage.
CPT Meeting #2
The second meeting of the CPT was held on Tuesday, September 27 at 6:30pm at the Brookswood Baptist Church (20581 – 36 Avenue). The CPT meeting covered a number of discussion items as outlined on the Agenda and in the Meeting Notes.
Discussion at the CPT Meeting drew upon and was informed by several documents, including the Phase 1 Engagement Summary and the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Profile (CPT Draft), a Complete Communities Backgrounder (CPT Draft), a Developing a Community Vision Handout, a Developing Guiding Principles Handout, and a Planning and Engagement Process Handout.
CPT Meeting #1
meeting of the CPT was held on Tuesday, May 31 at 7:00pm at the George Preston
Recreation Centre (20699 – 42 Avenue). The CPT meeting covered a number
of discussion items as outlined in the Meeting Notes.
The CPT is comprised of residents and property owners and other stakeholders, including non-profit community associations, local businesses, the development community and environmental groups and includes the following:
Live or own property within the Undeveloped Areas of Brookswood-Fernridge:
Donna Van Beek
Live or own property within the Developed Areas of Brookswood-Fernridge:
Live or own property in the rural areas surrounding Brokswood-Fernridge:
Live in a Manufacture Home Park in Brookswood-Fernridge:
Represents a Local Non-Profit Environmental Organization
Represents the Development and/or Building Industry:
Owns a Business within the Community Plan Boundary:
Member of a Local parent Advisory Council:
Member of a Local Seniors Organization:
The CPT is assisting staff by attending 6 to 8 weekday evening meetings throughout the Community Plan update process (approximately May 2016 – September 2017). The CPT is also encouraged to attend other public engagement events throughout the Plan update process.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Community Planning Team (CPT)?
The purpose of the CPT is to provide input to the Township through project staff on the preparation of the update of the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan. Throughout the plan process the CPT is providing feedback into the development of the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan update by:
- Reviewing and providing input on:
- Material prepared by project staff;
- Vision, guiding principles and draft plan policies;
- Land use and servicing ideas and options;
- Sharing their perspectives on the future of the Plan area; and
- Reporting back to their community and organizations on plan progress and key discussions.
The primary role of the CPT is to assist and work along-side project staff, in a conversational and ‘round-table’ discussion context.
2. What is the composition of the CPT?
To represent a broad range of interests, membership for this volunteer CPT will consist of 17 members. A minimum of 10 members reside within Brookswood-Fernridge. The CPT is composed of:
- 6 persons owning property and/or residing within the Undeveloped Areas, as shown on the map below;
- 2 persons owning property and/or residing within the Developed Areas, as shown on the map below;
- 1 person residing in a manufactured home park within the Community Plan boundary as shown on the map below;
- 2 persons owning property and/or residing within the rural area surrounding the Community Plan boundary, as shown on the map below;
- 2 persons owning a business within the Community Plan boundary (or representatives from the Brookswood Village Merchants Association), as shown on the map below;
- 1 person representing local seniors (Brookswood Seniors Citizens Centre);
- 1 person representing a Parent Advisory Council member (Local School);
- 1 person representing a local non-profit environmental organization; and
- 1 person representing the development (Urban Development Institute) and/or building (Greater Vancouver Home Builders Association) industry.
3. How were the members of the CPT selected?
Applications from interested persons were forwarded to Township Council for review and selection.
4. What if I was not selected for the CPT?
The CPT serves as only one of many public and stakeholder inputs into the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan Update. For individuals that were not selected for the CPT, there will be many other opportunities to provide input.
5. What are the responsibilities of CPT members?
The CPT will fulfil its mandate by attending 6 to 8 weekday evening meetings throughout the Community Plan update process (approximately May 2016 – September 2017). Although the specific dates for these meetings has not yet been determined, CPT members should generally be available to meet during weekday evenings.
6. Will members of the CPT be compensated for their time?
No, the CPT is voluntary. Members will not be paid by the Township of Langley.
7. Where can I find more information about the CPT?
The Terms of Reference for the CPT provides more detailed information about the composition, the mandate and roles / responsibilities of the CPT.
8. Where can I find more information about the Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan Update?
The Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan Update webpage provides more information about the overall planning process.
Community Development Division
Brookswood-Fernridge Community Plan Information Line: 604.533.6152