The Township of Langley offers garbage collection to properties within our garbage collection area. If your property is outside of the garbage collection area, see Waste Services for Rural Properties.
What Goes Inside
Garbage carts should only contain items that cannot go in your Green Cart and blue box and bags, or cannot be taken back to the recycling depots. Wondering where a specific item goes? Click on ‘What Goes Where’ below.
If Your Garbage Wasn't Picked Up or is Delayed
Call the Township's garbage contractor, Sierra Waste Services Ltd., at 604.530.3939.
If you have more garbage than can fit in the garbage cart provided:
1) Purchase Extra Garbage stickers
Households that occasionally produce extra garbage can purchase Extra Garbage stickers for $3/bag or can. Extra garbage will only be picked up on days designated for garbage pick-up (see your collection calendar). Stickers are available for purchase at these participating locations:
- Civic Facility: 20338 - 65 Avenue
- Operations Facility: 4700 - 224 Street
- IGA Marketplace: 20159 - 88 Avenue
- Aldergrove Kinsmen Centre: 26770 - 29 Avenue
- W.C. Blair Recreation Centre: 22200 Fraser Highway
- Walnut Grove Community Centre: 8889 Walnut Grove Drive
- Langley Centennial Museum: Fort Langley, 9135 King Street
- Langley Events Centre - Gate 1: 7888 200 Street
- Willoughby Community Centre: 7888 200 Street
2) Request additional garbage carts
Households that regularly produce extra garbage may order up to two (2) additional garbage carts per property. Additional fees will be added to the garbage collection utility fee on your annual taxes:
- 120L garbage cart = $75 more per year
- 240L garbage cart = $150 more per year
Order online or call 604.532.3533. Administration fees may apply.
Large Item Pick Up
Residents with municipal garbage collection may have up to four large items picked up by appointment at any time throughout the year. Call 604.530.3939 to schedule a pick up.
Examples of Accepted Items:
- Furniture - couches, coffee tables, chairs, desks, dressers, TV stands, cabinets, tables, cribs, high chairs, bed frames, mattress and box springs*, etc.
- Appliances - stoves, dishwashers, washers and dryers, hot water tanks, refrigerators, freezers, microwaves, etc.
- Miscellaneous household items - treadmills, BBQs, area rugs, etc
*Mattresses Now Accepted
Mattresses must be wrapped in plastic or in a plastic mattress bag to be accepted by the recycling company.
One mattress and one box spring per property will be accepted per year.
Where to purchase mattress bags or plastic film wrapping:
|Plastic Mattress Bags
||6550 200 St
|Langley Mini Storage
||20451 Logan Ave
|Langley Self Storage Depot
||20986 56 Ave
|Econo Self Storage
||20501 Logan Ave
||5954 200 St
|Storage for Your Life
||#200-19950 88 Ave
|Aldergrove Mini Storage
||3227 264 St
|U-Haul Moving & Storage
||18590 96 Ave
|U-Haul Moving & Storage
||19316 56 Ave
|Depending on mattress size and store, the prices range from $4.50 to $11.95 per bag.
(only mattresses need to be bagged, not box springs). Please call for details.
|Plastic Film - Roll
||6550 200 St
||20350 Langley Bypass
||24540 16 Ave
|Prices vary from $12 to $14 per roll
Certain materials are banned from Metro Vancouver disposal facilities. Bans are in place on items that are:
- hazardous to collection workers, the public, and the environment
If banned materials are found in your garbage, it will not be collected.
Pet waste can be hazardous and is listed as prohibited. However, small quantities may be double-bagged (with air removed) and disposed of in the garbage. To see preferred options for disposing of waste from dogs, cats, and other pets, visit Metro Vancouver’s website.
Household hazardous waste can be disposed of year-round at various drop-off depots, or residents can bring items to our Household Hazardous Waste event in October.
Public Garbage Drop-Off Facilities
To personally dispose of extra garbage, there are two Metro Vancouver Transfer Stations located nearby. For locations, hours of operation, and materials accepted, refer to Metro Vancouver's Disposal Facilities web page.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use plastic bags to contain waste in my garbage cart?
Yes, plastic bags are permitted in the garbage cart. Remember that plastic bags are not permitted in the Green Cart, including those labelled as ‘compostable’.