Your Green Cart is for food scraps, yard trimmings and soiled paper products. The same materials accepted in the Green Can program are now accepted in the Green Cart. New to composting? Don’t worry, it’s easy!
How it Works
Recycle your food scraps in three easy steps:
|Step 1: Collect food scraps in a kitchen container of your choice.
||Step 2: Empty your kitchen container into your Green Cart.
||Step 3: Place your Green Cart at the curb on your collection day
What Goes Inside
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What if my Green Cart is too small for the amount of waste our household produces?
Extra yard trimmings may be put out in paper bags, or 80 L cans marked with a “Green Can”* or “Yard Trimmings” decal. Twigs and branches can be bundled using garden string or twine (no wire, nylon rope, or plastic strapping).
- Maximum branch size: 1 m (3 ft) in length and 7.5 cm (3 in) in diameter
- Maximum bundle size: 1 m (3 ft) in length and 0.5 m (1.5 ft) in diameter
- Maximum bundle, container, or bag weight: 20 kg (44 lbs)
Additional Green Carts are not available.
*Free Green Can decals are available at Township facilities
How can I keep my Green Cart clean?
Here are some tips:
I already compost. Why must I have a Green Cart?
- Line the bottom with newspaper
- Layer food scraps under yard trimmings
- Sprinkle with baking soda or powdered garden lime
- Store it in the shade
- Place it outside every week for collection, even if it isn’t full
- Wash it regularly
- Keep the lid closed at all times
Having a Green Cart solves the problem of what to do with meat, cooked food and dairy products. Meat, bones, dairy, and cooked food should not go to backyard composters as they create odour and attract pests.
Why can’t I use compostable or biodegradable plastic bags to line my kitchen container or Green Cart?
These bags do not compost quickly enough for local composting facilities and cannot be accepted in municipal collection. Instead, use paper bags designed for food waste, or wrap your food scraps in newspaper. Learn how to make a newspaper liner for your kitchen container.
For a full list of Cart Program FAQs, click on your property type below:
|Single Family Home
- Single Family Home
- Mobile Home Complex with Curbside Collection
- Townhome or Mobile Home with Centralized Collection
Other questions? Contact us.
Cart Information Line