Property Use Regulations

Property use regulations regulate neighbourhood nuisances by establishing minimum and clear standards in areas such as unsightliness, graffiti, abandoned properties, and sound.

Part 7 of the Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448 regulates abandoned properties.

An abandoned property means any building or structure that has been unoccupied for a continuous period of over 30 days.

Owners of a property that has or will become an abandoned property are required to ensure it is made and remains secure against unauthorized entry, occupation, vandalism, intentional damage, or fire.

Securing abandoned properties is also required through the Township’s Fire Prevention Bylaw No. 5690, to protect the property, surrounding areas, and emergency responders. Note that if a fire does occur at an abandoned property, cost recovery can be sought by the Fire Department from property owners.

Part 2 of the Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448 defines Unsightly, Discarded Materials and Rubbish. Part 3 of the bylaw provides the acceptable standards of maintenance.

An accumulation of yard waste, garbage, discarded materials, leaning/collapsed fence, or parking on front yard landscaping are all examples of unsightliness.

Part 4 of the Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448 regulates noxious weeds, uncontrolled overgrowth and grass height.

Part 9 – 11 of the Township’s Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448 regulates sound. Under the bylaw, a specific type of sound may by prohibited, exempt from restrictions, or regulated by days and times or by dBA or dBC levels.

What days and times can sound from construction take place?

  • Between the hours of 7:00am and 8:00pm on weekdays.
  • Between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm on Saturday.
  • No construction on Sundays and/or statutory holidays, including Easter Monday and Boxing Day.

When can I use power equipment such as a power washer, leaf blower, chain saw, or lawn mower?

Between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm daily.

Can I obtain a sound exemption permit?

As per Part 11 of the Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448, a temporary sound permit may be obtained for exigent circumstances. Approval is not guaranteed and permit fees apply.

A wrecked vehicle means a vehicle that is not licensed for the current year and is not insured with a storage policy, or a vehicle that is incapable of moving under its own power or is reduced to parts. Includes frames or bodies of a vehicle.

As per Part 3.1 (b) of the Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448, storage of a wrecked vehicle, unless stored within an enclosed building (not included a tent canopy or tarp) is not allowed unless specifically permitted by a zone under the Township’s Zoning Bylaw.

Section 503 of the Township’s Highway and Traffic Bylaw 2010 No. 4758 regulates signage on public property.

The Township’s Sign Bylaw 2012 No. 4927 regulates signage on private property. A permit application can be found here.

The Township’s Election and Political Signs Bylaw 2015 No. 5034 regulates the posting of election and political signs on both public and private property.

Part 5 of the Community Standards Bylaw 2019 No. 5448 regulates graffiti.

Graffiti means one or more letters, symbols, or marks, howsoever made, on any Building, Structure or thing but does not include marks made accidentally or any of the following:

  1. A sign, mural, public notice or traffic control mark authorized by the Municipality, a bylaw of the Municipality, or by Provincial or Federal legislation; and
  2. In the case of private Property, a symbol or mark of which the Owner or Occupant of the Property on which the letter, symbol or mark appears has received prior written authorization from Municipality.
Paint Voucher Program: Use a paint voucher to get a reduced price on paint and supplies from Cloverdale Paint retailers to cover graffiti. Submit your service request to receive a voucher using the Bylaw Complaint Form.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you live in a strata, the rules are slightly different when it comes to property use concerns. Stratas are governed first by the provincial Strata Property Act. Each strata can then make their own rules within that framework. These stricter strata bylaws overrule Township bylaws. This means that, for many property use concerns, you need to contact your strata council or strata manager, and learn how they enforce your strata bylaws.

Visit the provincial webpage for more information about Strata’s.

The Township of Langley Public Spaces Regulation Bylaw 2018 No. 5298, prohibits smoking within parks, playgrounds, recreational facilities, trails, and school spaces except if an area is specifically designated by the Township or school district for such activity.

Under the provincial Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act and Regulation, owners, managers, or lessees, are responsible for ensuring that their public and work places comply with the requirements for creating a tobacco and vapour free environment. Visit the provincial webpage for more information.

See the Driveway Extension (Widening) Permit Guide. For any further questions, contact the Engineering Division at 604-533-6006 during hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm.

Related Links